Image Map

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"Will you be my Bridesmaid?" Cookies


 Naturally cookies were top of mind as I brainstormed ideas for my bridesmaid's gifts.  Did I mention I love sweets?  As I started to research companies that make bridesmaid's cookies, I started to see $$--$10 a cookie plus another $10 for shipping each.  I would be at $120 for all of my bridesmaids and planning for the wedding has not even started yet.  So I decided to make a fun project out of it!

Inspiration

 
The frosting color and the details on the dress make these cookies so unique.  I knew I wanted to do fun dresses, but the groomsmen cookie got me thinking about toher fun wedding shapes I could use for cookies.

The frosting color, the packaging and the ribbon sash on the bridesmaid dress all made me excited to get started making my bridesmaid's these cookies.  The clean lines of the frosting made me realize I could not use Betty Crocker icing for this project.

My Take


With my inspiration in hand, I set out for Jo-Anns to buy cookie cutters, an icing kit and gift boxes, and the grocery store to get all the ingredients. 


I wanted to make sure the dought did not spread too much as they were baking.  This recipe from All Recipes was phenomenal!

I've only ever used Betty Crocker icing out of the can, so I searched the internet for a really good tutorial on how to decorate with Royal Icing.  It is important to take the time to prep your space prior to making the Royal Icing, because it does harden quickly.  I used this recipe for Royal Icing and this tutorial for the steps on how to use it.
 
It's all about the details in decorating!  I had so much fun decorating all 6 dozen cookies.  I decided to stick with white and teal for all of my cookies to make frosting the cookies easier.  Each cookie had its own personality by the time I was done (just like each of my girls).
I bought the boxes from Jo-Ann Farbics and tied on a tag with a personal message to each of the girls with some ribbon I already had in the house.  The tags were cut out from a piece of scrapbooking paper.
Committing to making each girl 6-8 cookies was a ton of work, so make sure you have the time to bake, deocrate, and box all the goodies.  Overall, it was a huge success.  All six of my bridesmaids said yes--yes!  And...I saved money, had fun making them, and was able to sneak in a few treats for myself.  :)
How did you ask your bridesmaids?  Would you ask your bridesmaids with these cookies?


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please leave your lovely comment here.