Image Map

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Design Your Perfect Wedding Cake

When I started out on the journey of selecting a cake, I had no idea how quickly the cost of a wedding cake adds up.  Since I am a sweet tooth, I made sure I had enough in my budget to order the cake of my dreams.  This post helps you figure out how much the wedding cake of your dreams will cost.


To create your perfect wedding cake, draw inspiration from different sources.  When doing my research, I found that most cakes have the same cost structures.

Bridal Shows:  My mom, sister, and I went to numerous bridal shows where we tested cake samples. The displays were always so large and impressive.  

Referrals:  We visited bakers based off referrals from friends.  If you are at a wedding and love the dessert, ask the bride who made her cake.

Piece Together Elements:  I liked certain features from different cakes, so I pieced them into my dream cake.  A little bling, vintage floral details, and 3 tiers made the cut.

Local Bakeries: It was love at first site with this cake from Elite Sweets.  It had all the elements I was searching for.
Most cakes are priced per slice and start around $3.00 per slice  There are also additional charges:

  • Fondant ~ $0.50 per slice
  • Fruit Filling ~$0.50 per slice
  • Trendy Flavor (like Red Velvet) ~$0.50 per slice

Usually, there are additional costs charged for a fruit filling, a unique flavor, or a special frosting.  There is also usually a minimum number of slices you have to order, like 85 or so.  On top of the variable costs here, there are also quite a few hidden charges to think about when you select your baker.

  • Cake stand rental ($35 to $50)
  • Sugar or fondant flowers ($25 to $50 depending on intricacy)
  • Real flowers from your florist ($35 to $50 depending on type of flower)
  • Delivery ($100+ if more than 1 person is needed to carry the cake)
  • Cutting the cake (~$1 per slice charged by your venue)
  • Linens for your cake table ($20 to $60 per table cloth)
  • Cake topper ($20+)
  • Pillars between layers (~$10 each or free depending on bakery)

The top two layers were lemon chiffon cake with a whipped raspberry filling and the bottom layer was a chocolate chiffon cake with chocolate Bailey's Irish cream mousse filling.  I had a description of each flavor on my wedding menus.

This butter cream cake has tons of vintage floral leaves piped onto it.

For all you brides-to-be, be sure to have a slice set aside.  Dinner happens so quick, and it's hard to eat during the evening.  A wrapped up slice of cake would be a perfect midnight snack with your new husband.

Be sure to write all details like rhinestones or a special display stand into your contract so that you can ensure you get what you expect.  Even though I loved the way the cake tasted, I was not 100% satisfied with the way it turned out.  The cake was displayed with pearls and three beautiful tiers, but it was not delivered that way on my wedding day.  Don't make the same mistake.

Is there something you would have done differently on your wedding day?  Did you serve a cake?  What flavors did you select?  I'd love to hear from you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please leave your lovely comment here.