Image Map

Monday, April 8, 2013

DIY Wedding Celebration Shakers


I have planned a number of DIY projects for my Pinterest inspired rustic-vintage wedding (that's a mouth full!).  I happened to have all of the materials purchased when my family and family to be asked what they can do to help for our wedding at Easter brunch.  While the boys were watching sports, the ladies got started on my celebration shakers.  I saw this on Etsy and fell in love with the idea of celebrating our marriage with these shakers.  

Since we are doing an outdoor wedding, I wanted to avoid throwing rice or blowing bubbles.  These celebration shakers are a great eco-friendly alternative and will make noise as we make our way back down the aisle as a married couple.  :)  I can't wait!!

Lace ribbon (1 ft per wand)
Narrow pink ribbon (slightly over 2 ft per wand)
Thicker teal ribbon (1.5 ft per wand)
Dowel rods
Bells

I picked up all these materials at Jo Ann Fabrics.  With a 20% off entire purchase coupon this can be relatively inexpensive.  Hunt around for cheap lace.  I got mine 50% off at Jo Ann Fabrics.


1. Cut your ribbon to the desired lengths.
2. Spray the tip of the dowel rod with spray adhesive and wrap the lace around the tip.  Set aside and let dry.
3.  Thread the bell through the narrow ribbon.  Leave about a finger space then tie a knot.  (We noticed that the bell did not ring well when it was tied on super tight, so we came up with this solution to maximize celebrating volume.
4.  Center the teal ribbon on the dowel rod, holding it parallel to the dowel rod, then tie the pink ribbon around the dowel rod and pink ribbon.
5. Celebrate!

We decided to do it this way to minimize the amount of lace used (most costly ribbon) and get additional streamers to shake.  If you can, try to enlist your family and bridesmaids on this project.  It was so nice having an assembly line of people working on each of the steps and saved a ton of time.

When I was taking these pictures, the wand looked so beautiful in the wind.  I'm excited to show them off on our wedding day!


1 comment:

  1. Really interesting post about DIY Wedding Celebration Shakers. I am glad to read all this here. Anyway, I too will get married and seeking help regarding decorations and finding inexpensive venue for family wedding ceremony. Do you know about any good deals on Seattle Wedding venues?

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please leave your lovely comment here.